Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

She is congested but no coughing. She is not coughing. No

Customer Question

She is congested but no coughing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She is not coughing. No runny nose. No sneezing. Her name is***** is 9 years old. I have taken her to the vet twice.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tootie?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What breed of dog is Tootsie?
2) When did this start?
3) What meds have been tried? Any benefit?
4) Does this sound like it's in her nose or chest?
5) Any x-rays taken of her chest?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Tootie Boston Terrier
2 weeks ago
I forgot the name of the meds. Somewhat have helped. I run a vaporizer at night.
The vet said it is not in her chest, but she does not have a runny nose.
No e-rays have been taken.
***-***-****I leave at 4:30.

Do you recall what type of medication it was? Steroids? Antihistamines?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
hold on I will call my husband.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
1/2 tablet every other day

This is both steroid and antihistamine. They're low doses of both. I can give you information on a different antihistamine that may work more effectively for the congestion. I prefer Zyrtec, the same one people take, as it seems to work very well for dogs, better than most antihistamines. The dosing information is here:

n addition to the vaporizer, don't hesitate to bring Tootsie into the bathroom while someone is showering to allow the higher concentrate of mist to help break up the congestion. Just be sure that someone monitors her as its possible for a dog to overheat in such a warm environment. You can also use saline nasal drops 2-3 times daily to help break up the congestion.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion today?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Tootie is well. She is still stuffed up more than usual, however, she shows no signs of being uncomfortable. Tootie is spoiled so she is always laying/sleeping beside me. Thank you very much for asking!!! This is an older picture of Tootie, but she still looks like this. My little Boot!!!! Her full name is***** I call her Tootie Boot. So, sometimes, the Tootie gets left off, but she knows her names!!!
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 days ago.

She is adorable!

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you so much!!!

You're very welcome.