Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog woke up this morning lethargic not been able to move

Customer Question

My dog woke up this morning lethargic not been able to move very well.yesterday he was energetic running around he's a five month old German Shepherd
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zues!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zues?
Customer: We live on a farm he's an inside outside dog and I have been catching him eating mice. I am concerned it is possible poisoning
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How should I treat my dog if he has been poisoned by mouse poison?I cannot afford expensive vet bills.he was fine yesterday and this morning he woke up lethargic and hardly able to move
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am only assuming it's poisoning

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My first concern is that sweet Zeus may have injured himself while playing yesterday. This is common in young energetic dogs like Zeus. If he is still eating but not wanting to move much, give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound of his weight every 12 hrs to help decrease this inflammation.

If Zeus is anorexic and not wanting to eat or drink, then there is a possibility of poison especially if there is poison out for the mice. If he catches mice that may have ingested this poison, there rarely is a "second kill" effect meaning that he cannot get teh poison from the mouse. Zeus would have to ingest the poison directly and most mice and rat poisons are anti coagulant poisons that will take up to 5 days to kill. If this is possible, take Zeus to your vet where they can run a test to determine if poison is in his system with a PT test. Treatment at this point can save his life. Waiting to see may not be wise at this point.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He would not have eaten any poison directly, his breathing is labored and he isn't eating he only had a little sip of water

This labored breathing could indicate pain but it is hard to know where the pain is coming from. Check his gums to see if they are pick or white...if they are more white than pink, this can be serious. I would recommend that you have Zeus checked by your vet. I say this because this lack of appetite is not normal for a simple sprain or epiphysitis, common in GS puppies. You may try to force feed him liquified canned dog food is his gums appear pink and then give the aspirin and wait awhile to see if this will help. It is safer to have Zeus checked by your vet soon.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta