Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Well he's in remission for lymphoma… He's had a rough year

Customer Question

Well he's in remission for lymphoma… He's had a rough year and already two rounds of chemo. Now he has a large mass on the side of his jaw and I they think it is a salivary gland. The problem is to remove it they want to $6000. And I don't know if I should put him through the trauma...Plus it's a huge expense considering that he has lymphoma and a history of mass cell tumor as well. I guess my question is how risky is it for me to not do the surgery and give it some time...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's a six-year-old French bulldog
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cooper?
Customer: He doesn't seem to be in pain… He acts totally normal other than the mass
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you.

As long as Cooper is eating/drinking well and is comfortable, then there is minimal risk of giving it some time. Has the swelling been aspirated and confirmed to be a sialocele (ruptured salivary gland)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They have done numerous biopsies and All come back as not cancer, just showed inflammation. This week they did a CAT scan and from the CAT scan they said that that was a salivary gland that would need to be removed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They have not aspirated it… They said it did not look like something that could be drained

So if it is not causing any discomfort, then why are they recommending removing it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Because it is rather large… And they said if we wait too long to remove it it will get more difficult. It is near the ear and it appears to be pushing on a nerve so that I so it's making it where his blink response isn't normal. We are having to use artificial tears.

So that is a different scenario. I would not wait in that situation. It is always best to remove a mass if it is causing issues. If he did well for the anesthesia for the CT scan, then he should be okay for the removal. Since it is already effecting his blink response, that may be permanent even after removal.