Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery

She is listless, will not eat, her nose is cold but also the

Customer Question

HI , She is listless , will not eat , her nose is cold but also the inside of her mouth is ice cold and her sister's is warm, she acted like this day before yesterday then was fine , now she's like that today, she seems to have shallow breathing and I notice her whincing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: OSTARA and I think shes about 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about OSTARA?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 14 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 14 days ago.

I am sorry to learn Ostara is not feeling well. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Is she spayed?

5- Breed?

6- Did she get into anything?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Since Tuesday afternoon but she was fine yesterday and now acting the same as she did on Tuesday today.No to none of the above and I checked her stool and it looked perfectTo my knowledge , NoneNo she's notShe's a Boxweiller, Dad was a Boxer, Mom a RotweillerI cannot say 100% NO , but she stays in the house and I do not think I have seen anything outside.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 14 days ago.

1- Any abdominal swelling?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

4- Can you take her rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am not certain but I think there is Abdominal Swelling, but it may that she just looks bigger when laying down bc when she walks to get water, I do not see much swelling.None that I have noticedHer gums look pink to meI suppose I can but I thought you could tell a dogs temp by if their nose was cold, meaning they had no fever.
How do I check her rectal temp ?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 14 days ago.

The only reliable way to know the temperature in a dog is via a rectal temperature. To take a rectal temperature this is what you can do:

1- Lubricate thermometer tip with ky jelly, vaseline or soap and water.
2- Insert thermometer in rectum about 1 inch and gently press tip up against rectal wall.
3- Wait a minute or until it beeps.

Can you also check and make sure she does not have any vaginal discharge.

Please, let me know, I will be on standby. Thanks.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
it was 37.7
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 14 days ago.

Her temperature is normal, thank you. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ohhh and I Do not know IF it is Vaginal Discharge but I did see some small traces of liquid
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 14 days ago.

1- What color was the liquid?

2- Was it thick or watery?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I see a small spot on the sofa and it appears clear and thin and watery .
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 14 days ago.

Friend, I am sorry Ostara is not feeling well, I am sure this must worry you. In response to your question, listless and decrease appetite are very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. As far as her breathing this could be an indication of an underlying cardiopulmonary disorder or simply being weak from being systemically ill. If you are seeing a vaginal discharge, this is important because it could be an indication of a uterus infection (pyometra) which can cause all of the symptoms that she is showing.

Unfortunately, there is not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. In this case, Ostara will need a hands on examination, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC), x-rays and urinalysis as an initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on clinical and diagnostic findings. I would strongly recommend having her checked by your family veterinarian first thing in the morning. If you have access to ER vet I would have her checked tonight, especially if you are seeing a vaginal discharge, important to rule out a pyometra (infection of the uterus).

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter