Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

MY 10 year old bulldog is not acting like herself. She ate

Customer Question

MY 10 year old bulldog is not acting like herself. She ate breakfast this morning, but refused treats and peanut butter during the afternoon. She didn't want her dog food for dinner, so I tried white rice, whcih she has eaten some. She is a "special needs" dog - elongated soft palate, hiatal hernia, and spinal fusion. She wants to be near me. When she stands, her head is drooping towards the floor. She will sit in my lap. She is the size of a french bulldog, but she is engish. She looks as though she could fall over when she stands. She is drinning water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the French bulldog will be able to digest that. What is the French bulldog's name?
Customer: She is not a French bulldog - English just very tiny. Her name is Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: She had kennel cough in August after a stay at a kennel
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 13 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you.

Because she is an english BD, but the size of a frenchie, I worry that she may have a liver shunt. Has she had any bloodwork in the past? Is she on any medications or a special diet?