Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is 16 months old and got ahold of one of those sponge

Customer Question

My dog is 16 months old and got ahold of one of those sponge ball or what Thay call stress ball and ate some pieces of it . Well she get sick from it or what should I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if stress will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about stress?
Customer: My dog chewed and ate some of the sponge ball she found. Is there anything I can give her to digest it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. That is not something her system will be able to digest regardless of what you give her. If she ate small enough pieces, though, she may be able to pass it through with no problem. It is possible that it can cause some mild vomiting or diarrhea, but that is usually not a concern. I would try to add some fiber to her diet. A tablespoon (or teaspoon if she is small) of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin over each meal will add fiber, increase fecal bulk to surround the sponge and help to push it out. If she vomits once or twice, I wouldn't be too concerned, as long as her appetite remains normal. If she vomits more than that, has diarrhea for more than 36-48 hours, has bloody stool or is not eating, then I would have your vet check her out ASAP. If she is vomiting often and not eating, then there is a chance some of the ball may have caused an obstruction. If she is a bigger dog, the chance of that would be less likely then if she is smaller. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your doggie is doing and to see if you have any further questions.