Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Sudden lethargy starting Monday morning. 2.5y/o golden

Customer Question

Hi...sudden lethargy starting Monday morning. 2.5y/o golden retriever male. Bowels/Urination normal. Won't eat dry food, but will eat canned. Water intake okay. We took him for a hike (2.5 miles that he's done numerous times on Sunday) and starting monday he has been sleeping all day and just seems "out of it". Current on all meds and had bloodwork done at vet within the past few months. Usually if he is sick it's GI distress, but not this time.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Henry, almost 3.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Henry?
Customer: thats it that I can think of.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It seems like he is on Benadryl, but we have none at the house and no signs of him eating anything odd.
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 8 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. what part of the country are you in?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Nashville TN
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I see you are unable to call...we are in Nashville, TN. He went to a dog park twice over the weekend (he's been there several times a week for the past two years with no ill effects) and took a small hike. He's smaller in stature, around 65lbs and usually healthy and active. He did not eat anything that we saw and saw no evidence of him getting into anything he shouldn't.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 days ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Hill for you. Please let me know if you still need help. Unfortunately, somnolence and seeming "out of it" while important symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative of any one particular disorder.