Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog woke up in the middle of the night panting heavily. i

Customer Question

my dog woke up in the middle of the night panting heavily. i held her for about a minute. then i took her to the water bowl. when i set her down she fell over to one side. i picked her up again and after about a minute she was back to normal she slept through the rest of the night fine i'm not sure if i should take her in to see a vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Stella. 7 years old king charles cavalier spaniel
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stella?
Customer: no. she hasn't had any issues
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 days ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 10 days ago.

Is Stella acting normally today?

Is she eating/drinking normally?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is she urinating and defecating normally?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This happened about 2 am. She did have a little bit of leakage from her butt when i brought her back to bed. Shes seems completely normal this morning. ate her breakfast and went outside to pee. I also gave her a treat before she left that she took. She's walking and getting up on the couch fine.
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 days ago.

Okay....great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It's hard to say what was going on with her last night, but since that episode only lasted a few minutes and she's completely normal today, I think it's okay to just keep an eye on her for any other unusual behaviors for her.

If she has another episode, then you should have your vet take a peek at her, but I suspect this was just a fluke and likely won't happen again.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
besides the exact same thing happening again, is there anything else i should watch for?
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 days ago.

If she has any vomiting, diarrhea, stops eating or becomes lethargic, then have your vet take a peek.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok. thank you!
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 days ago.

You're very welcome!!

Expert:  Lisa replied 8 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?