Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

1.8 year old Doberman, throws up her food after heavy

Customer Question

1.8 year old Doberman, throws up her food after heavy playing or workouts
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Doberman eat anything unusual?
Customer: haha no... I feed her Fromm Large breed dog food morning and evening 9 am and 4 I also add goats milk but today she got sick at 3 pm..weird
JA: What is the Doberman's name?
Customer: Gia
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gia?
Customer: not really
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 12 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

She might have a touch of Megaesophagus. With this condition, food fails to move all the way down into the stomach and is frequently regurgitated. This condition is found in dobermans. You can read about this here:

This site give a good description of what happens to a dog with this condition.

It will help if you can keep her front elevated for 10-15 minutes after eating as well as when she is eating if she does have this condition. That is one thing that can help. You should also experiment with different consistencies of food. Some do better with almost a liquid consistency and others a semi liquid or softened food. Feeding a high calorie diet in small portions throughout the day is also recommended. Perhaps supplement with Nutrical would help as well.

There are a few different drugs that may be effective. One is Metoclopramide which you can read about here:

Another drug is Cisapride, you may want to ask your vet whether these drugs would help in your dog's particular case.

It is worth investigating this possibility. I would also add a probiotic to her food in order to facilitate good bacteria in the stomach and aid in digestion. Fortiflora is a good choice and can usually be found at your pet store or vet office.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 days ago.
Hi Dina,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 day ago.

Hi Again,

Following up to see how Gia is doing. Did my suggestions help at all? Did you find my answer helpful?