Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

She was okay yesterday. But she is skinny, when I got home

Customer Question

She was okay yesterday. But she is skinny, when I got home today. Looks weak and disoriented.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Pooeing blood, not sure. Shes an outside dog. My daughter beat me homw
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: shes very weak. We are giving her pedialyte with dropper
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: slobber on her mouth, blood in poo
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zero, 5 months girl
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zero?
Customer: no, we have 3 other dogs outside. They are perfectly fine.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How many vet visits has Zero had?
2) What vaccines have been administered and by whom?
3) When was her last fecal?
4) When did she last eat?
5) What breed is she?
6) Any vomiting? Diarrhea?
7) Where did she come from?
8) How long have you owned her?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1. 1
2. first set
3. she hasnt had one.
4. yesterday
5. german shepherd and pitbull mix.
6. blood in diarheea. No vomit
7. we have her parents and brother in same area. All happy, eating, except her.
8.birth

At 5 months of age, she's way behind on puppy vaccines. She is only current for an 8 week old dog. Not having current vaccines predisposes her to many GI viruses that can severely debilitate dogs including Parvo and distemper. No fecal exam makes it possible for intestinal parasites to be playing a role, as well, such as roundworms and hookworms which are common in young dogs. It is not imperative for parents or fellow siblings to be ill at the same time that she is as some dogs are more prone to illness than others. If this is viral, the other dogs (especially those her age or younger) are likely to develop the same symptoms.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better, but she really needs to be examined and treated by a veterinarian. These instructions will help with a general GI upset, it will not help to treat or cure any medical illness that she may have acquired. I would recommend an exam, blood work, Parvo test and fecal for her because she has had such a limited history of veterinary care.

Her not eating suggests that she is nauseated. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber to calm the diarrhea and blood in the stool. If you choose to use these steps first and you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?