Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

I have a one year old pit whom has stopped eating has been

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: i have a one year old pit bull whom has stopped eating has been at the clinic for one week tests are all clear
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: x rays don't show anything ultrasound is clear as well his name is dice
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about dice?
Customer: if you pulsate his abdomen area he squeals in pain.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 14 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Just want to clarify a few points. Your dog has been hospitalized for one week for anorexia. An ultrasound and X-rays were done and showed no apparent foreign material or other abnormalities. Do you know if blood work was ran and if so, was it normal? Also, who did the ultrasound? Was it an associate at the hospital or by a specialist? It makes a big difference in the subtle changes that can be picked up.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi he was hospitalised cause he was dehydrated, so needed to be put on a drip, the X-ray was done by a normal vet two vets have had look at the images and can't seem to make up anything. he has lost a lot of weight and is skin and bones!! i have taken him home worried that a vet environment can cause hammer harm than good as its very stressful.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Blood work was also done and Cbc's are perfect
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
any more advise ?

I took a quick dinner break. Thank you for your patience. With this history I would be worried about inflammatory bowel disease. Has there been any history of vomiting or diarrhea? What foods has he been eating? Inflammatory bowel disease can show up as mild thickening in the intestines. That is why I asked who did the ultrasound. A novice may not pick this up, whereas a radiologist or an internist would.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Diaheria yes vomiting not at all, have taken him back to another vet today for more tests again, he is anemic. Will preform another ultrasound again and will let you know in details.
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 13 days ago.

I suspect the anemia is associated with either loss through the bowel (IBD, parasites, fungal ds) or anemia of chronic disease. Animals that are sick for several months can become anemic due to decreased production of red blood cells. It is preferable to have the ultrasound done by a radiologist or boarded internist so that they can catch minor details like thickened intestinal walls. Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay so we have come to narrow down our options, as is sais he is anaemic and his platelets were very low which means either he is not producing or he is loosing somewhere, we gave him a blood transfusion and opened him up, everything seemed normal except the lymph nodes were swollen 5 of them to be exact and his spleen was slightly abnormal, we have taken biopsy and have sent them off today. Now we are in search of a vet that can preform a bone marrow biopsy in the uae so we can send those off also.Recovery after surgery his platelets are only slightly low his is not as anaemic as he was he has had some breakfast still not as much as he used to eat but at least he is eating.
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 7 days ago.

I am so glad that Dice made it through the surgery okay. The transfusion will hopefully last 5-7 days and help him feel much better. Any results on the biopsies yet?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No we still have not received the results, he has been on doxycycline for the past week and his blood count has improved as well as his platelets are back to normal.He has gained back his appetite as well we should get the results in the next two days. Vet is now suspecting and idiopatic disease.