Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Rgic. is nose is cold and dry, Whar would be the best course

Customer Question

rgic. is nose is cold and dry, Whar would be the best course to follow.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sinbad,he is 1.5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sinbad?
Customer: Part Saint Bernard and part Pit (he was a rescue dog at 3 months old)
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 15 days ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

A warm, cold, dry or wet nose is not a good indicator of your dog's health. Vomiting, Diarrhea, fever, discharges from orifices, these are things that may point to your dog being sick. A dry nose may point to the start of dehydration, so be sure he has enough fluids available.

The following is a list of symptoms that if your dog has one of them you should take your dog to a vet immediately.

Severe Vomiting and/or Diarrhea lasting more than 24 hours.

if your dog becomes dehydrated. You can tell by pulling up the skin between your dog's shoulder blades and seeing if it flows back down normally. If it stays tented or is slow to return to normal, your dog is dehydrated and needs fluids immediately and should see a vet as soon as possible.

If your dog's gums and tongue become pale and not their normal pink color.

If your dog's rectal temperature is over 103F (101-102.5F is normal)

If your dog becomes lethargic and non responsive.

You should check for dehydration though. You can do this by pulling up the skin between the shouler blades. When relieased it shouldsnap quickly back into place. If it is slow to go back into place or stays tented then Sinbad is dehydrated and needs to see your vet. His gums should also be tacky if he is dehydrated. Often heating and air conditioning systems will dry out hair and skin, so that might also be affecting Sinbad as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 12 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 days ago.

Hi again,

Just a quick followup to see if my answer was helpful to you.