Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

She is having her first litter, She has had one puppy and

Customer Question

She is having her first litter
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She has had one puppy and I'm not sure if she pass the plancenta for that puppy yet
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No, I think that she might be getting ready to have another
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: She had already had the first puppy when I discover she had started her delivery
JA: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: She didn't have an appetite today
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: The puppy was still connected by her cord to Tina (mother). I tied thread at 2 places and cut the cord between the 2 tied places
JA: Is Tina bleeding a lot?
Customer: She is licking herself and restless
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tina?
Customer: No, not much blood and that is why I am wondering about the placenta still might be in her She is whining and rotating. Another baby is here
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I am reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

How old is Tina and what breed?

You cut the umbilicus the right way. Great!

So now she has 2 pups?

I think that you are busy with pups. I'll check back in about 5 minutes.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 15 days ago.

It sounds like the whelping is going along well. What I'll do since it has been hours is give you some information in case a difficulty develops. The following sites go over dystocia (difficult or problems in whelping).

Here is another article on dystocia.

Here are some things you should look for after deliver to ensure she is remaining healthy. Bleeding after delivery is normal and it will gradually go from bright red to pale red, pink, tan until it disappears completely over the course of 3-5 weeks. If your dog has intense abdominal pain, pale gums and tongue, sudden drop in temperature or collapse she needs to be seen as soon as possible as she may have uterine torsion.

If your dog has a Green, smelly discharge from her vulva, fever, loss of appetite and listlessness, it is possible she has a uterine infection due to bacteria or a retained placenta and needs to be seen immediately. It is likely she has metritis which is a uterine infection.

If your dog is experiences muscle weakness, muscle spasms, tremors or seizures, limb paralyses, she needs to be seen now as it is possible she has eclampsia. Calcium supplements, Tums, cottage cheese or goat’s milk may help, but it might not reverse the symptoms quickly enough.

Here is a site with more information on this.

Look for breast infections on a regular basis. If a breast becomes inflamed, red and hard to the touch, your dog will need to be seen by your vet. Cut the puppies nails weekly to help prevent scratches to the breasts which might allow bacteria to enter the breast and lead to a breast infection.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 12 days ago.

Hi again,

Following up to see how things are going with the pups and your female. Did you find my answer helpful? I hope you send some pictures.