Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Vomiting cleanish liquid. Normal? No. in fact hadn't eaten

Customer Question

Vomiting cleanish liquid. Normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. in fact hadn't eaten yet today. Typically eats in the evening.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear your dog is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

{ I am not sure of the sex of your dog so I will use " he " }

1. Episodes of vomiting are quite common in the dog, luckily most cases are not so serious, there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners try before getting their local vet involved. These can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some sort. Here are some examples.

2. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

3. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

4. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance, the amount you give depends on the size of the dog, one teaspoon twice a day is fine for toy breeds ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

5. Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the vomiting ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.