Jeffrey Evans
Jeffrey Evans,
Experience:  Veterinarian at North Shore Animal Hospital
95953543

My 10 month puppy just threw up and is now bobing her head

Customer Question

My 10 month puppy just threw up and is now bobing her head back and forth and had a random high burst of energy and is now more calm than normal and isn't standing up right She took the deworming heart pill almost exactly 24 hours ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I am aware of
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: don't care about a mess just want to make sure she's ok mulah
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: took the heartgard puppy pill about 24 hours ago she eats and drinks regularly and has no known health issues
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jeffrey Evans replied 1 month ago.

Hi there! This is Dr. Evans.

Sorry to hear about your pup! Let's work through this...

1. What was the heart worm medication
  2. what is the breed of your dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
cavapoo and heartgard puppy

Great!

Has she ever displayed signs of dizziness or lethargy after eating?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no this is the first time

Okay.

Please give me a couple minutes to respond, sounds like a reaction to the heartworm prevention.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay, thanks. should I not let her sleep?

Some animals have reactions to Ivermectin, the active drug in heartgard. Signs can include dizziness, lethargy, and CNS excitation (this means they act like they are on speed). If your dog is eating and drinking well otherwise, the best course of action is to discontinue the use of Heartgard and move to another heartworm preventative, I recommend "Sentinel". Further, you'll need to discuss these reactions with your veterinarian so they can put in the medical record that Ivermectin toxicity is suspected and she doesn't get any of the many commonly used drugs with ivermectin in it.

For right now, allowing her to rest is the best course of action - as 24 hours is too late to make her vomit. If she's okay right now she'll be okay tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
would it be wise to go to the pet emergency? She's been acting drunkish for over an hour now. Do I need to get her to drink water? I am really concerned

No change is diet is recommended right now. It is really hard to say if you have to go to an ER right now as anything she could have eaten, toxins, etc. could cause her signs. Given what you've told me, Ivermectin toxicity is a likely scenario. I would, however call the number on the Heartgard box and report this event - they often times will refund your purchase!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All 3 things you stated have happened to her. She began with throwing up then acting as if she was on speed running around the house going crazy barking growling (which she never does) and then she got calm and was unable to walk then her head bobbing started and she is not responsive its like she is looking blank but not registering that she sees us. Her heart rate was very fast when she was running and now is very slow. She is still what appears to be dizzy but now very tired

Is she eating and drinking okay?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She won't do either right now or since this started happening this evening
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
heartgard was free and really cost or refunds do not mean anything to me at the moment just worried about mulah

Is there ANY chance we got into any medications, drugs, etc... marijuana, human medication, chocolate... etc...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The only thing she could have gotten into would be marijuana but there is never any smoke around her but could have potentially eaten some I suppose, can eating raw leaves cause a problem? Other than that I can not imagine she would have gotten into anything else. I did deep clean the apartment today lots of dust was removed from under the furniture, could it be an allergic reaction to dust?? she was not in the room during the cleaning

Yeah, she likely ate the raw leaves... smoke doesn't effect them as much as the raw leave... okay so heres what your gonna do, are you ready?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Grab maple syrup or Karo syrup and rub it on her gums. This helps with the low blood sugar that can occur from raw marijuana leaves. Next, SLOWLY trickle gatorade or pedialyte into the corner of her mouth - DONT make her choke on it... just slow enough to lap it up. Allow rest and a quiet environment.

the "spacey" stare makes me worried about her blood sugar.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I gave her some honey, I read that in another one of the answers on here but she hasn't had any positive effects from it yet

Try this, wait 30 minutes, and if she's not better she may need to get into an ER facility for some supportive care.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think I will go to ER I would rather be safe than sorry. It's been over 30 mins with no shown effects from the honey.

Okay if you tried 30 min ago that sounds like a safe bet.

Good luck and one more thing before you go!

Tell the vet everything you told me - even the marijuana, we;re just here to help you won't get in any trouble I promise!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks!

Kindly send a rating when you get a chance!