Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dachshund-Chihuahua mix is having trouble walking and is

Customer Question

My dachshund-Chihuahua mix is having trouble walking and is panting (like it is difficult for her to breathe)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Nothing physical as far as I can see, and she does not seem to be in pain. She is wagging her tail, but can't keep her balance
JA: What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Lucy, 12 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: I don't think so... she is a little overweight
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you please post a video showing your concerns with her balance and breathing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her breathing is better...I'm downloading video now

I'll stand by.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Your site sucks... how do you load video smaller than 5mb?

Alas, it's not my site. I am a user of the site, just like yourself. Customers ask questions, I answer them.

If it will not permit video to be loaded, you can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry...I'm so frustrated. Try https://youtu.be/DbqkKXVQ9O0

Thank you for the video, is she able to use her back legs at all?

I've offered a phone call if this might be easier for you than using the site. There is an additional charge, but contact is more direct.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not well. She had a BM, but couldn't support her weight

Thank you for the additional info.

This looks like a condition that is very common in smaller breed dogs, especially dachshunds and dachshund mixes, called intervertebral disk disease. I'll include some links below for you about this affliction. It can be entirely pain-free or it can be painful, the determination is typically on how affected the dog is. Some will experience mild symptoms and others more major. A more major symptom is inability to use the back legs completely at which point they often drag behind the pet. The breathing you were seeing earlier may be linked to discomfort, although she's not showing signs of obvious pain though vocalization.

Ideally, she would be seen by a veterinarian overnight. She needs back x-rays and may need to be referred to a specialist for surgery to gain full use of her legs back again. With diagnostics, your vet will be able to tell you more on what she will need in the near future.

Failing being able to have her examined tonight, she needs to see your vet in the morning. Keep her on a well padded, absorptive bed and expect that she may have some accidents this evening. Don't be surprised if she avoids eating and drinking.

1) http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/Intervertebral-Disk-Disease/Symptoms.aspx
2) http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion?