Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in Small Animal Practice

He was chewing on an empty bag of grout mixture, Odin, 6

Customer Question

He was chewing on an empty bag of grout mixture
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Odin, 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Odin?
Customer: He is a large puppy. Probably between 60 and 70 lbs
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

It is always concerning when a dog chews on something he is not supposed to. There are definitely difference in grout formulations so the ideal thing to do is to try to see if there is a number on the bag that you can call and get advice from the company that is more familiar with their formulation.

However, I can tell you that most of the ingredients in grout mixture are not toxic, but can cause a few problems including intestinal irritation and some formations can be alkaline and cause ulceration of the mouth, throat and stomach. These alkaline formulations are the ones I would worry about, but there is no way to know what kind you have.

If the bag was truly empty and he only chewed on the bag then it is likely that he didn't get enough to cause a serious problem. I would take a look in his mouth and make sure there are no areas of ulceration or irritation. If there are or if he is drooling then I would definitely take him to a veterinarian ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 14 days ago.

If he is completely normal then I would offer him dilute chicken broth every few hours today to help dilute out any that got into the stomach. And put him on a bland diet to ease the stomach irritation... such as chicken and rice for 3 days.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you! Yes, it was just an empty bag the contractor left in the yard unnoticed. He seems to be acting ok. No drooling or irritations in mouth.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 14 days ago.

And monitor him closely. Any vomiting or diarrhea (especially bloody), abdominal pain or lack of appetite can indicate that there is stomach irritation and it would be best to have a veterinarian see him and prescribe something to treat the stomach irritation.

The only other thing is... did he eat any of the bag? Or just chew on it. If he ate pieces of the bag then my recommendation is the same, but I think the risk of complication is higher and I might seek care sooner rather than waiting for any symptoms.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He was just ripping it up. I don't think he ate any of it. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 14 days ago.

Best wishes!

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 11 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?