Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I adopted him from the shelter on september 23rd he was full

i adopted him from the shelter on september 23rd he was full of energy. he is up to date on all shots except his rabies and dhhp which i am getting this week. He is eating food and treats, but now he just goes outside comes back in and sleeps all day and night and doesn't want to move. sometimes i pick him up and he yelps like he's hurt. also it seems like he has labored breathing at night when i was laying with him but I'm not sure.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buckeye he is about a year old and is a hound mix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buckeye?
Customer: he seems like a baby he has real long back legs and it seems like he hasn't grown into them or know how to use them. i just want to make sure he's ok and healthy. i gave him a children's tylenol yesterday is that ok? what should i give him or do?

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

What state do you live in?

Do you know anything about Buckeye's life before you?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Do you know if he was mainly an outdoor dog before you?

Do you know if they did any blood work at the shelter?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I live in ohio. He is not vomiting and no diarrhea. Only information i have on him is that he was altered neuter at intake. Says he was examined at 9/21/16 and all they have marked is 30.7 lbs and apparently healthy. Even tho his ribs were showing when i adopted him on the 23rd of September. also shows he's male a hound white and tan. Estimated 1yr at intake dhhp vaccine dose on 9/9/16. Bordattela vaccine 9/9/17. Heart worm testing 9/10/16 results negative. Revolution flea/heartworm prevention dose 9/10/16. That is all the information i have on him.

If you press on his joints a little (knees, elbows, etc), does he act painful?

Does he seem warm to the touch at all?

Do you notice any limping at all?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
just pressed on joints and that did not bother him.seems warm under armpits but that could be from laying there. Ears and rest of body seem normal, not warm. Not limping, but walking real slow. Was running around full of energy a week or less ago.

Okay...great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

This honestly and truly sounds like Lyme or Anaplasma to me. The two big symptoms your dog has: transient lameness in the limbs and the sudden onset lethargy are both huge red flags when it comes to diagnose these tick borne diseases. There's a website that outlines some of the symptoms here:
One of this problems is that a dog can have a silent infection for years before they become symptomatic...which means he could have gotten a tick on him last summer, it could have transfered the disease and it could have simply been dormant all this time.
I think the best thing to do is to have her tested for tick borne disease. In my opinion, one of the best (and fastest) options for that is the 4DX test. It only takes 3 drops of blood and 8 minutes for you to have a 'for sure' answer. You can read more about 4DX testing here:
I strongly suspect he's going to come up positive. Then it's just a few weeks (usually 31 days, actually) of Doxycycline, and she should be back to normal.
I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much is there anything i can give him like children tylenol or anything to help him cope better with symptoms and be more comfortable?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
how much does that snap thing that tests for tick disease cost and if i can't afford it are they able to take the bloodworm at the shelter or vet?

No....we actually don't give products containing acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen sodium (Aleve) to dogs because they can damage the kidneys. I know that you did already give Buckeye some, but I'm sure he'll be fine if you don't give any more.

I would recommend giving your vet a call and asking them to move up the appointment. The test cost depends on the clinc...I know the last clinic I worked at, they were about $30.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
is it contagious to humans or dogs? i have another 3 yr old dog and also a 16 yr old dog.

No. It's transmitted via tick bite, so an infected tick would have to bite your other dogs. So no worries about him giving it to either of the other dogs or you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok i am taking him in the morning to the shelter i got him from they have a vet there from 8am to noon. i guess they will give him the shots check him out and do bloodworm. how long do you think they will take to get bloodworm results. i don't want him to be miserable for longer than he has to

The snap test only takes 8 minutes.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
they do that there or i have to buy that machine ? what is the cost

They should have it there. And it's all part of the cost of the test..

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?