Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I boarded her for 2 weeks and picked her up yesterday. Her

Customer Question

I boarded her for 2 weeks and picked her up yesterday. Her training collar must have been on the whole time because she has partically two holes in her neck. They aren't oozing or bleeding. I used soap and water to clean the area twice yesterday and again this morning. I then used hydrogen peroxide on the area as well and blotted it with a clean towel after...still no blood or pus. I then put a loose fitting bandana on her neck; tight enough not to fall off but not tight enough to cause further issues.. I also put it on so her regular choke collar doesn't rub against it all day. I am wondering if it will heal up on its own or if there is more I should do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Harley...she isn't coughing
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harley?
Customer: My dog isn't coughing. She has pressure necrosis and I am wondering if there is more I should do then what I have already done
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Is it possible for you to take a picture of the wounds and post it or attach it to your next message?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
unfortunately I already left home. But it looks similar to this one, but the area isn't as red like this dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
like I said there is no blood or pus and she can't reach the wounds which is good but I wanted to know if there is more I can do to help with the healing other than what I am currently doing.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the information. It is possible that the area can heal on its own, but the main concern would be that it does get infected. In most cases, we would start them on some antibiotics to keep that from happening. It is possible that it can heal without them, but those wounds usually heal faster when they are on antibiotics. You can continue cleaning the area with soap and water daily. It may even help to run a light stream of room temperature water over the area for 5-10 minutes daily. This is called hydrotherapy, and it help to promote healing. A triple antibiotic topical ointment may help to promote healing as well. I wouldn't use hydrogen peroxide on it anymore. That is only supposed to be use for initial disinfection, but it will impede healing after that. Keeping it open to air will help with faster healing as well. If you cover it, it doesn't allow enough oxygen to get to the wound, and it may fester. If there is any black or grey tissue in or around the wound, it needs to be surgically debrided because that tissue will not heal well. If it starts to have discharge or get very red, then antibiotics are absolutely necessary. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
would Neosporin work? and do I put it around the wound or inside it?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Yes, Neosporin would work. I would usually just take a tongue depressor or q-tip and put a thin covering over the wound. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
keep it uncovered?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how do I know it is infected or not? I just don't want to take her to the vet if I don't have to because she is not a big fan
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

I would, unless she is scratching at it or another dog is licking it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what antiobiotic would you recommend to get her on?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Well, just redness and/or swelling around the lesion may mean it is infected, but I would also look for a yellow or greenish discharge or pain associated with the site. You don't have to have all those parameters for it to be infected. You may only see one of them. Once infected, though, it will have a harder time healing. In most cases, with a wound like this, it is better to have him on an oral antibiotic early to prevent infection and help it heal better. I would usually use a broad spectrum antibiotic, such as Clavamox, clindamycin or a cephalosporin for 7-10 days. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you can't prescribe one can you? Her regular vet is gone for another week
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry. I cannot. That is illegal without a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship. She has to be examined in order for that to occur.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
for the clavamox, what would you prescribe dosage wise? SHe is a 95 pound german shepherd black lab
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
standard tablet seems to be 375mg
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Just do as described above. If you see any of the issues mentioned, though, I would get her in to see another vet to get it checked out. If allowed to get infected, those wounds can be more difficult to heal. She would need at least a 375mg and a 250mg twice a day. That would usually be an expensive choice for her size, so I tend to go with something else for a dog her size. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what you recommend for her instead? and for how long
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

I would probably go with clindamycin, maybe cephalexin, for 10 days for a dog her size just because of cost. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
75mg or 120mg of the clindamycin? and how many per day?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry 75mg or 150 mg of the clindamycin? and how many pills per day?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

For her size, I would probably go 300 mg twice a day.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok....she is on an over the counter glucosamine/chonodritrion supplement.... should I not give her that while she is on the antibiotics or will it be fine?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

No. Glucosamine and antibiotics can be used together. Please let me know if you have further concerns.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. It is for informational purposes only. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
uncover the wound, light layer of Neosporin, 300mg twice a day for 10 days and ok to keep using her supplements?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

That is how I would treat her, but I would also do hydrotherapy daily. Granted, I do not know her medical history, so I have no idea if she is allergic to certain medications or if she has any other medical conditions that may contraindicate certain medications, so I cannot recommend using clindamycin without veterinary supervision. If she has any bad reactions to any medications, I cannot be held responsible for it.