Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I gave my chiwawa who is 6.95 pounds some triforce cannie

Customer Question

i gave my chiwawa who is 6.95 pounds some triforce cannie squeeze on flea med then he started dry heaving and shaking his he i was it off with dawn dish twice maybe five min after appling and he is also acting like he has a bad taste in his mouth and is got some exssive spit come out his mouth maybe three or four times now is this fatal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about med?
Customer: no one will see him without money i have 40 dollars and no one will see him please help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian andI would like to help you today. I doapologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts comeonline at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’ssituation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Did he ingest any of this?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can u pleas call me
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I am afraid that I cannot offer the services you have requested at this time. Please let me know if you would like to continue our conversation in this Q&A session or if you would prefer me to opt out and see if a colleague can offer this (at an additional fee) for you.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i will keep typing if u will answer please for the first fee
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he has thrown up and his gums are red not white he tried some water but he mostly keeps acting like he has a bad taste in his moth and shaking his head
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please tell me he isnt going to die
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i put the triforce on the back of his neck he didnt ingest that
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

It would be only for the first fee, but you need to tell me the answers to the questions I asked above.

I see most of them but If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no but he was whimpering some but he did nothing when i pressed hes belly he keeps scratching at his neck and his tryin to sleep some while still acting like he has a bad taste in his mouth
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Now the signs you reported do fit with the chemical used in the Triforce but I did need to check if he had licked any since you noted he acted as if he had a bad taste in his mouth. (Not to mention them getting a lick often will be why they show signs). In any case, just to note, this chemical can cause wobbliness, behavior changes,tremors, itchiness, lethargy, drooling,vomiting, and diarrhea. It doesn't tend to be fatal and since you rinsed it off quickly we'd not expect severe issues here.

That said, we need to soothe his stomach. For my peace of mind, I'd be keen for you to rinse his mouth with cool water just in case there is any residue present if he did have a lick. Otherwise, we can use an antacid to counter his nausea. OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). Offer these as small meals over the next 48 hours as this runs its course.

Overall, this isn't likely to be fatal. Especially as you acted quickly to get this off his skin. Still, we need to use the above to soothe his stomach and help him settle. Of course, if he cannot keep the above down, then he needs to see the local vet for injectable antinausea treatment to counter this for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i would also have to say that i spoke to animal control and the recommended callin the company due to a toxic od and said to also let the company know i gave him a flea bath around lunch yesterday with hartz flea and tick shampoo can i give him pepto i have that now and he keeps scrathing his neck also they ask about possble benedrly for the itching or should i bath his neck with dawn again
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am not tryin to kill my dog i just want to help him
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

You certainly can report it to the company, as they will be keeping a record of reactions of this nature. Though I have to say that they often will do little about it. Otherwise, it'd be better to use one of the antacids I mentioned about and not Pepto (since some dogs will vomit more with that one). And you can give Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl) but only after you settle the vomiting since that can cause that as well.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how much benedryl and he as is still producing about a soft ball size about of spit from his mouth how it is really moist around the edges of his mouth what should i watch for concerning that is that too much and that amount has been in the last half hour or maybe and hour he is now under his blanket sleeping making no sounds breathing ok and not acting like he needs to throw up i know im askin a lot but i dont want to do anymore to him that cause him discomfort and should i keep trying to wake him for a response or let him sleep
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

The dose rate is in the link above and again you need to settle the vomiting first before use since otherwise you will just cause him more vomiting. Otherwise, you just need to monitor for those signs I mentioned before. If we see more of those, ten we'd need to consider having him see. But if he can rest, please just let him sleep this off.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i will let him sleep it off and thank u i will call his vet first thing this morning and i greatly appreciate u talking to me he is not my pet he a member of my family and the last thing i ever want to do is hurt him so thank u again
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a good plan of action and again you haven't done lasting harm and we'd hope that your quickly washing this off will just avoid any more signs developing.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.