Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My Daisy is a and she becomes very anxious on car rides. She

Customer Question

My Daisy is a ***** ***** and she becomes very anxious on long car rides. She won't lay down and is so tense. We have a cabin in the mountains that is an 11 hour ride. What dosage would be safe for her to take and how long before the ride should it be given?
JA: I'm trying to find the right Veterinarian for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Daisy Duke
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy Duke?
Customer: She is 5 yrs old and a
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

My name is*****’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health/ behavioral fields for 19+ years. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

It sounds like she may be getting motion sickness and the motion sickness is causing the behavior issue. It may not be causing her to vomit, but is making her uncomfortable. Motion sickness is worse if you can't see out a window. Some people use Benadryl to calm their dog before car travel and Dramamine is also used for motion sickness, but your Vet should be consulted before using Dramamine.

Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. The dosage for Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) for motion sickness is 2-4 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours.

Any medication should be given an hour in advance to car trip.I have a dog that used to constantly pace and jump around the car as well and no training would help, but Dramamine helped even though he wasn't actually vomiting.

For anxiety, herbal rescue remedy is often used, but another option is a DAP collar that uses pheromones to calm a dog. It emits pheromones similar to those produced by a mother when nursing pups. You might try giving the medication, waiting an hour and then put her in the car and just move up the driveway slowly so she sees that it isn't the same as it is normally. She may still be anxious since she is used to it making her uncomfortable, so I would still use a DAP collar so she is calmer as well.

If these were not the medications you were thinking about, please respond.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.