Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 7 year old mini schnauzer has come up with right back leg

Customer Question

my 7 year old mini schnauzer has come up with right back leg that he will not walk on when he see his buddy he runs on it the after smelling him he goes back to holding it up. he has not stopped eating or drinking however he is not his voicetress self sort of sad looking. I always squeeze his glands and stuff come out he will stop and turn his neck fast like something is bothering him at his but. I know they inside glands could that be a problem that he might of pulled something trying to reach back? I squeezed his back leg all over and he dose not seem to be in pain. Please help I love my dog so much!! God bless
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes no wound
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gunther
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gunther?
Customer: he had lyme desease
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 14 days ago.

My name is*****’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health/ behavioral fields for 19+ years. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

If you move the leg does he seem to be in pain?

Did he slip or fall in the last few days that you know of?

Is he holding it off the ground or just not putting any weight on it for the most part?

When he runs is he putting weight on it then?

Did this happen right after you expressed his glands?

How often are you expressing the glands?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No Pain when moved.
He fell last week off of couch but no sign of damage he was running wild
Holding off ground some times he adds weight
no I expressed glands 2 wks ago nothing came out but a little drop
only when he starts looking back their real quick but I have not got anything to come out like I did when he was younger
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He is just not his lively self my wife thinks its from me treating the lawn but I always wait before I let him on it as recomended by fertilizer company