Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I'm just reading a post about dogs developing dark spots

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I'm just reading a post about dogs developing dark brown spots that look similar to age spots on their belly. It seemed to have happened over night.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: BB 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about BB?
Customer: Well he currently is on medication for back pain.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 16 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

The main differentials for those spots are healing epidermal collarettes and lentigines. Collarettes start as pustules which spread out in a roughly circular fashion. The inside of the collarette quiets down and hyperpigments while the rim of the collarette can stay actively inflamed, infected, and crusty. Collarettes usually indicate pyoderma - a bacterial skin infection.

Lentigines can be thought of as a type of freckle that's genetically predetermined. The abdomen is a common site for them. They're benign and not amenable to treatment.Collarettes are more likely to appear "over night". BB10's vet can clarify what those spots signify visually. No special testing is necessary. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.