Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

What can u do if my dog has heart worms and I don't have

Customer Question

what can u do if my dog has heart worms and I don't have money to pay a very?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 12 days ago.

My name is*****’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health/ behavioral fields for 19+ years. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

it will likely take me about 15-20 minutes to type up my reply. I hope you can be patient.

You have a few options. One you could apply to some of the following organizations who might help finance your dog's treatment.

Veterinary Bill Assistance Programs:
1. The Big Hearts Fund:
2. Cats in Crisis:
3. Diabetic Cats In Need:
4. The Dog And Cat Cancer Fund:
5. Frankie's Friends:
6. Handicapped Pets Foundation:
9. The Mosby Foundation:
10. The Onyx and Breezy Foundation:
11. Paws 4 A Cure:
12. The Pet Fund:
13. Pets-DC:
14. Shakespeare Animal Fund:

This site may have additional resources as well.

However, it is not unusual for people not to be able to afford expensive heartworm treatments. In that case an owner may elect a slower kill method. With this methd you would need to be giving the dog monthly heartworm preventative and usually the vet will also prescribe an antibiotic such as doxycycline for a month or so. Your vet will periodically retest for heartworms and is likely to prescribe antibiotics as well. This method is often used on dogs who have health issues which would make them poor candidates for traditional treatment. It does not kill the adults but does kill any larva produced so once the adults dies off, the dog no longer has heartworms. heartworms can live a long time even up to 7 years. The sooner you start preventative, the better since any that mature into adults will take a long time to die off naturally.

you can read more on heartworms here:

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 days ago.

Hi again,

just a quick followup to see if you found my answer helpful?