Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

He is stumbling around, very thirsty and his eyelids are

Customer Question

He is stumbling around, very thirsty and his eyelids are twitching. He doesn't seem to be breathing normally. I was out of town and just back in. He had someone look in on him at 10 this morning and he was ok. He had vomitted several times since then and twice since I have been home.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He is 9 has hip displasyia but healthy otherwise.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 4 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is so sick.

Could he have gotten into anything while you were gone, like in the yard or house? Trash, medicines, plants, etc?

What does the vomit look like?

Do you have a local animal ER near you? Based on your description of how he is doing, he may need to be seen tonight.

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help you tonight.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Vomit was food first time and bile thereafter. He is walking to one side, left and his eyelids are twitching. Strangest thing I have ever seen. No chance of poison or snake bite. No limbs are swollen.

That is really strange. Are the neurologic signs improving since we started talking?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No.

Okay. Do you have an animal ER near you? It is very concerning that he is having neurologic signs tonight.

Are his eyeballs bobbing side to side?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. just his eyelids. He just threw up the water he has been drinking.

Okay. Take away the water. Vomiting dogs will often drink excessively and this will make their nausea worse.

Do you have an animal ER near you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. just looked closely at his eyes and they are nystagmus like.

So his eyes ARE bobbing side to side?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Slighty yes. Left eye seems more pronounced.

Okay. This is really helpful.

Based on your description, I would wonder about vestibular disease. This is very common in old dogs and is caused by inflammation in the middle ear. It is like vertigo. It can cause nausea and the dogs will have one side more affected than the other. The left eye bobbing more, turning the head to the left, etc.

It is often treated with anti-nausea medication and medications for vertigo that your local veterinarian can prescribe.

Here is a link-

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=564

Does this help? What other questions do you have?