Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 4 yr old goldendoodle female is licking and biting her

Customer Question

My 4 yr old goldendoodle female is licking and biting her FEET & legs, living in orange ca, we do go to the beach 1x per week or so -
I thought maybe she had fleas but ruled that out (she's on comfortis & ceresto collar) - thought she had mites? She has little white sticky "eggs" (not live I know what that looks like) - it looks like dandruff but when I look close & feel it it seems like sticky dandruffy eggs at the base of her hair at skin -
I've done sulphur
Probiotics for the skin to reinocculate
Doxycycline, she started getting intermittently hot to touch & in her ears
I'm perplexed
I've seen 3 vets & they said 3 different things - ending up in wanting to do steroid injections which I won't do
The only thing keeping her going is that I own cold lasers & other healing equipment, PEMF mat, ondamed etc
At this point she's bleeding where her claws meet her foot, her skin is intermittently Red on her belly like she's had a sunburn -
After a grooming she developed some "blisters" & red belly & skin so I thought they used too hot of water on her / then realized maybe she picked up staph or strep infection -
I'm overwhelmed with how miserable she is, she's biting licking & itching all night long now & sleeping during the day - she is drinking & eating & urinating & eliminating well -
Thx for any help you can offer
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It sounds like your vets suspect that she may have allergies and a secondary bacterial infection. Have any antihistamines been tried for her? If so, what, how often and how much was given? How much does Zady weigh?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
35 lbs - tried just a couple doses of natural anti-inflammatory caps - the white sticky eggs I'm suspicious about -
I researched ingredients in antihistamine product, HISTO-X by Apex & all ingredients are safe & effective for dogs -
675 mg quercitin, butternut, stinging nettles, mangosteen,ginger extract
What is the white gluey stuff? I can manage the inflammation but concerned about the misdiagnosis with the parasitic/mite piece
I think I need a stellar diagnostician
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
675 mg cap 2x day

Do you have a picture of what you're seeing, a close and detailed one?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you enlarge this this is a pretty good shot of the gluey stuff you can see darker areas that's where I think they're eggs then they hatch to small grayish tan "bugs" of some type - she itching so much & now has a lick granuloma on her rear foot, she's chewing on all her feet, so I'm thinking they bugs get caught in her feet when she itches? I can take more pics tomorrow in daytime light outside I need to check her belly anyway & see how it's doing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here's another shot
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Another
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last one tonight

Tonda, I am preparing to sign off for the evening. I will opt out so another professional can assist you.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Thank you for the photos. They reveal epidermal collarettes - roughly circular skin lesions that represent pustules that have spread out. The center of the collarette quiets down and often hyperpigments while the rim can remain actively inflamed, infected, and crusty. Staphylococcal infection is most common and there's usually an underlying problem such as an allergic dermatitis or, less commonly, autoimmune skin disease such as the pemphigus complex.

Biting the extremities is strongly suggestive of either atopy (allergies to environmental allergens) or food intolerance.

I don't see white sticky eggs or gluey stuff in those photos. The proper manner in which to diagnose such a patient is to perform a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of affected skin surface) looking for abnormal numbers of bacteria and yeast, skin scrapings looking for an underlying mange mite, bacterial and fungal cultures, and even skin biopsies. Until test results are returned, I would have such a patient on an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin. There's a good possibility that a minimum of 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs would be necessary for that antibiotic.

I see that you prefer a naturopathic approach. I'm a died in the wool allopath and so please let me know if you'd like me to opt out which will give a naturopathic vet the opportunity to enter this conversation.