Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Our 18 month old great dane Riddic has terrible rash under

Customer Question

Our 18 month old great dane Riddic has terrible rash under armpits. He licks it constantly. At first I thought was been stings cuz he loves our mint but we have cut that down for the winter and he is still having issues. We use oatmeal dig shampoo on him and he's eating a quality blend dry dog for with occasional can food. Chew bones to keep his teeth healthy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is Riddic bleeding a lot?
Customer: No just red rash very itchy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riddic?
Customer: He's recently acquired a round dime size growth on he front legs. Looks like it has fluid in it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 months ago.

My name is*****’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health/ behavioral fields for 19+ years. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Ok thank you

It sounds like your dog has a possible skin dermatitis such as a yeast or staph infection.

These skin conditions are generally seen with allergies. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet. Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours for itching due to allergies.

You can read about allergies here: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

Here is a site that goes over itching in dogs.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/pruritus-itchiness-in-dogs/page1.aspx

now the growth might be an abscess which can occur when a puncture wound gets bacteria under the skin and heals on the surface while the bacteria multiplies under the skin. It might also be a fatty cyst or a tumor. Your vet will likely drain it if it is an abscess and prescribe antibiotics. If it is not an abscess then he will likely do a fine needle aspiration to check the cells and determine if it is benign or not. You can read more on abscesses here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/abscess-in-dogs

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Following up to see if you found my answer helpful?