Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Vomiting once a week

Customer Question

Vomiting once a week
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is a 7 month old male neutered boxer he weighs about 51 pounds this is been happening for about 2 to 3 months it only happens about every seven to 10 days and it's always at about 4 or 5 in the morning we've tried feeding him a late-night snack he gets three quarter cup of food at 10 p.m. along with Omeprazole and fortiflora other than that he acts 100% normal all the other time
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is fed royal canine boxer puppy kibble. Treats are royal canine gastrointestinal low fat. Occasional milk bones. And all natural, limited ingredient pumpkin fresh baked treats.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I accidently hit the "call me" button. Please don't. Just respond via this chat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What tests have his vet done?

Has any other antacid been tried (since some work better for individuals then others)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just famantodine. He was tested for Guardia, and parasites
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He NEVER vomits during the day. It's always around 4/5 am like clockwork
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My regular vet doesn't seem to think it's food related, since it's so infrequent
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now his intermittent vomiting does sound like bilious vomiting syndrome. This is a condition where they experience bile reflux in the hours prior to eating. Therefore, with this condition in mind, your treatment has been reasonable. Though if he isn't settling with the antacids and diet adjustment, you may need a stronger anti-nausea option. Zantac/Ranitidine would be an option, else you'd need to speak to his vet about trying Metoclopramide, Cerenia, or Zofran. Otherwise, since bile reflux tends to be minimized by feeding later meals, you may want to think about leaving food down overnight so that he can access it as needed to potentially offset this.

Of course, if his signs linger and since parasites are all that were ruled out, you may need to discuss having an xray or having the vet scope the stomach using a scope with a camera. The former will rule out foreign bodies caught in the stomach (which we can see intermittent vomiting if they do eat something non-edible that cannot pass into the intestines) and the scoping would let them do that plus sample the stomach tissue to make sure we don't have an odd persistent bacterial gastritis (ie Helicobacter) that is preventing you from getting this under control.

Overall, his situation sounds like a benign bilious vomiting syndrome and therefore the treatment that has been tried was appropriate. But if he isnt' settling, then we do need to take further steps here to try to better manage that but also rule out other mild issues that could be afoot.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is crated at night, so leaving food out wouldn't be an option.
I just don't understand why it's so intermittent
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If he did have something "caught" in his tummy, wouldn't this happen more frequently and not like clockwork at 4 a.m.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Not necessarily, it just depends on what is caught. I have seen animals with subtle intermittent vomiting end up having small soft foreign bodies (ie hairbands, etc) present. So, I would not disregard it if its continued despite their treatment. Of course, as I noted we can adjust that treatment in case what was used wasn't enough to manage reflux but if he isn't responding then we'd have to think further then that condition even if it looks like it is.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, so say there is nothing caught up in his belly, and all else is ruled out.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

No, as I noted before we can see bacteria gastritis appear this way as well. So, there would still be that and scoping would be indicated. And I'd also note that scoping may be ideal here for your lad since that would let your vet also check that stomach outflow valve for abnormalities potentially triggering this for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sounds expensive
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Not necessarily, though you could ring your vet and other local ones for an estimate to determine what may be charged locally. But if his signs persist and foreign bodies are excluded, it may be an investment to prevent this being a lifetime issue for him.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How about a Early morning snack since that's when it seems to happen
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

If you aren't able to leave food down overnight and are up prior to the vomits, then you certainly can do so. Its just most owners aren't keen to feed before the bile reflux can occur since it is usually the wee hours.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sure. But he is like clockwork. I may try that, as we are always up around 4am.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

If you are up, that is perfect to try and just beat the bile to his stomach.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jennifer Britt. How is everything going?

Dr. B.