Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog is on allergy drops and a allergy pill as well. She

Customer Question

My dog is on allergy drops and a allergy pill as well. She has been to the doctor several times these past few months with clean bill of health even though I said she gasps for air every night sounds like congestion. Now she has been sneezing multiple times at once in the house with bit of watery eyes but now clear mucous comes out of only one nostril.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mitzi is a little over 12 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mitzi?
Customer: She is on hills prescription as canned and as biscuits. Now she can only use sicko shampoo and no conditioner even oatmeal ones. She has gotten more skin allergies with age
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you tell me what medication Mitzi is taking and how often?
2) Have her symptoms improved on the medication regimen she's on, along with the food?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Mitzi is on Allercept therapy drops 2 drops twice daily, one half Lorraine tab, metronidazole 1/4 tab of 250 mg 3x weekly when feeling ok. She was diagnosed many years ago with a colitis type inflammatory bowel disease, 5 mg pepcid 2x daily, prion 1/2 tab 2x daily for estrogen k incontinence, causation for joints had payrolls location surgery any 2 years old and had both eyes cataract surgery last year. Takes metronidazole more often say 2x daily for 5 days when mucous stool.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her symptoms have improved ues. When I first adopted her at 1 1/2 years she went to hospital for 3 days was throwing g up and pillows g a lot o blood
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's pooping blood
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you there?

I'm sorry for the delay. I did not receive an update from the site that you had replied.

Can you tell me more about the "one half Lorraine tab". Did you mean Loratadine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
loratidine like Claritin or something

Perfect. I apologize that I am not able to offer a phone call at this time. Another expert may step in to assist.

Is the sneezing, watery eyes and mucus from the single nostril the main concern at this point?

How do you feel the Loratadine has worked for her thus far? Have any other antihistamines been tried?