Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

He has been having diarrhea and I can notice some blood

Customer Question

He has been having diarrhea and I can notice some blood within the stool. However, he is acting normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Charlie and 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 13 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. I will be typing out some questions for you to answer and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this:)

Expert:  Sally G. replied 13 days ago.

Is Charlie up to date on worming and shots?

What breed of dog is Charlie?

Have you been near any water sources or parks lately?

Have you changed food or has he eaten anything unusual for him?

Has Charlie been eating and drinking just fine?

When did the diarrhea start?

Does Charlie eat any non food items like rawhides, jerky treats, pig ears or pig feet?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
1. No, today is actually the day his vet told us he is due for his shots (heart worm/Ehrlichis/Lymes/Anap, rabies 1 year, leptospirosis vacc, and bordetella vaccination)
2. His is a 3 year old English Springer spaniel
3. Yes, we went to the park yesterday
4. Yes, we have just recently changed his food (3-4 days ago) and the yesterday we got ahold of some of my grilled cheese sandwich.
5. Eating not as much but drinking normally
6. Diarrhea started two days ago 2 days ago.
7. Yes but not recently (3 week window)
Expert:  Sally G. replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for that information. The first thing I would suspect it is the change in food as some dogs do not tolerate this well at all. It does coincide with the time you started a new food and the time it would upset the stomach to this degree and the fact that he is not eating as much.

Drinking is great to keep him hydrated so let him continue that.

What I would try is fasting him for 24 hours, then give a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white or brown rice. The fasting will give the intestines the time it needs to become less inflamed and the bland diet will help with digestion. If you want you can even buy Hills dog food which is usually what your vet would recommend for a bland diet.

Give two or three tablespoons of the diet , wait a few hours for him to digest that and then give him a few more tablespoons. Then start adding in the regular dog food to the diet.

Usually when we switch dog food we like to do it slowly , for some dogs it can take over a weeks time of mixing old with new before they get used to it.

At this point your vet may not want to give shots until the diarrhea stops.

Another thing to consider is parasites and protazoa which can be picked up in parks. Your Vet would need a stool sample to determine this. Each is treated differently.

So I would start with the bland diet over the weekend and see if you notice a difference.

If things seem to worsen , if there is fever, vomiting, or the gums are pale or white then seek Vet help.

Here is an example of the Hills digestive dog food

Expert:  Sally G. replied 11 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.