Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have an English mastiff that has been very down and out

Customer Question

I have an English mastiff that has been very down and out not eating so we gave him a dose of penicillin and he got better but now he's back down how much more and often should we give him it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Corbin 9 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about corbin?
Customer: He was very healthy and active and it just came on overnight
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How much does Corbin weigh? How many milligrams is the penicillin you have? In what form is it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
150lbs 60 ml of 300,000 units per ml. Pro pen g, injection

The dosage is available here: http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/docs/Medication-Conversion-Pets_Penn-126-TheDogPlace.org1.pdf

1mL/30# ***** SQ every 48 hours. This would be 5mL per dosing for a dog his size.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How long should we continue the dosage or how many days?

Most antibiotic treatments last at least 7 days. You need to continue dosing at least 48 hours past symptom resolution.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?