Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

Customer Question

Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 15 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. No question posted. Can you please retype your question. Thank you

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi, my dog has started getting scabs on her face in between her eyes, on her snout and on top of her head. It seemed to start when she was injured in rough play with my other dog and the cut didn't heal just scabbed, scab fell off to revial pink skin and then another scab formed. I am not sure if that is a coincidence as the scabs have grown in different places on her head now. They are small, 1.5cm across and seem flakey. She doesn't seem uncomfortable and doesn't itch them. Her coat is glossy and she has a good diet. She is 9.5 years old. I have tried dog allergy shampoo and Sudocreme, the cream did help but they go and then appear somewhere else.

Hi. Thank you for reposting your question. If you want to try a topical treatment, then use a chlorihexidene based shampoo (avoiding the eyes) and let sit on the lesions for 5 minutes before wiping off. This will help if it is a bacterial infection alone. If the lesions are not resolving, then an evaluation by your local veterinarian with a skin scrape and cytology could help determine if mange or ring worm are possible. Your local veterinarian could then prescribe the appropriate medication. Sometimes it just takes oral antibiotics if there is a deeper bacterial infection. If the lesions are isolated to the face, then an immune mediated disease such as pemphigus or dermatomyositis is possible. These are diagnosed with a skin biopsy at your local veterinary hospital. Please ask any follow up questions. If you are satisfied with my response, then please take time to rate my answer. You can continue posting on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating. Take care.