Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I am watching my daughters golden doodle and looked down and

Customer Question

I am watching my daughters golden doodle and looked down and he ate most of a small dried starfish decoration. What do you suggest?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Leo and six months-50 pounds
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leo?
Customer: was diagnosed with kennel cough yesterday from doggy day care and is already taking minocycline antibiotic and a cough tablet
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 21 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What was this decoration made from?

Did he chew it or swallow whole?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It was a small starfish just sitting in a little bowl of beach shells. He chewed it

If this was a real starfish but dry, it was made of chitin and not harmful to him. The shell will soften in his GI tract. You may see some vomiting and diarrhea but that should be, at max, the extent of any problems. If it was chewed, it's unlikely to cause a gastric blockage, either. You may wish to add a few tsp of pure canned pumpkin to his food for the next few days to help move the pieces through his GI tract.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 18 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?