Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I think there is a small chance my dog ate a mini safety pin

Customer Question

hi! I think there is a small chance my dog ate a mini safety pin not totally sure but saw it on the ground now cant locate it he is 11 pounds and it was a tiny pin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: charlie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about charlie?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Did Charlie eat it or did he not? That is going to be a question that can be directly answered. The safety pin being metallic is something that will show very easily on an x-ray. A quick film of him (him being 11 pounds means a single film can catch his entire body pretty much) and see if it is in him or not. If it isn't, then no issue is at hand. If it is in him, then there is a good chance I'd feel that it isn't going to be an issue. I wouldn't go after a safety pin in a patient at my ER as things like that can in a lot of cases pass benignly through the intestinal tract. I've had cases where needles, nails, razors pass through without a problem. Basically the signs to watch for as possible issues are vomiting, abdominal discomfort, or loss of appetite for over 24 hours. Keeping the diet the same is the best thing to do as it means there can't be a contributing factor to a diet change if there is decreased appetite or other issue.