Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

I have a 14month old akita male. he has been limping

Customer Question

i have a 14month old akita male. he has been limping recently, back right leg.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: he has nothing stuck in between his paws, no tear on the paws. im scared of it being hip dysplasia, considering hes so young. 2 things im well aware of .. the limping occurs when he gets up from laying down.. and sometimes when he jumps off the bed.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: this morning he was limping, so I massaged his leg like I usually do, and it goes away. but this morning, I noticed that when I straightened out his leg, I felt kind of like a grinding feeling around his knee area. not a popping sound, maybe more of crackling.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 20 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
During his limping, he doesn't whine or wimper. but just hops around for a few minutes. Im scared it can get worse. but im hoping its just a muscle crap or maybe just a dead leg, something similar to what us humans get.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 20 days ago.

What you may be seeing is a patella luxation where the knee moves in and out of the joint, or a torn cruciate ligament. Your Vet will likely want to do a range of motion on the leg while feeling the knee to determine what is going on. A cruciate ligament will get worse the longer it is let go because arthritis begins to build around the area very shortly. This is painful to the dog but dogs are very stoic so many just limp without whimpering or whining. At times they will pull the whole leg off the floor and not bear any weight on it at all

cruciate information

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
he tends to jump on and off the bed every morning) .. will stairs to the bed help him at least slow down the worsening process? should I take him to the vet asap? please rate this from 1-10. I am so worried
Expert:  Sally G. replied 20 days ago.

I would take him in as soon as you can. If there is a torn cruciate ,which can likely be determined by the Vet doing a physical exam, it gets bad pretty quickly and makes for any surgery needed a bit more difficult, as I said, the bone then starts to heal/grow toether and creates arthritis.

Here's another good site for torn cruciate

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Sally G. replied 20 days ago.

You are very welcome. Hopefully it is something simple but we don't want to play around when it comes to a possible cruciate problem.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 18 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.