Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I think ( I am honestly unsure) my 12lb bichpoo just ate a

Customer Question

I think ( I am honestly unsure) my 12lb bichpoo just ate a cooked piece of onion out of the garbage- will this hurt him- is the onion more toxic is cooked or raw? We are leaving for a car trip in 2 hours
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 17 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Both raw and cooked onion can be toxic to dogs if consumed in high enough volume. Do you know how large the piece of onion was?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
no, but he is funny with food and usually can only eat small amounts, so I am guessing maybe a 1/2 inch or so

Very unlikely that such a small amount would cause him major problems. If it's been less than 2 hours and you want to be certain that he does not digest this, you can induce vomiting. Personally, I would not be concerned about such a small amount.

Directions to induce vomiting:

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 15 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?