Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

I have a 47 pound wheaton terrier. He is 3 years old. We are

Customer Question

I have a 47 pound wheaton terrier. He is 3 years old. We are about to be hit by a hurricane and he HATES thunder. Gets shakey and miserable. Not aggressive or loud; but, I'd like to give him something to go to sleep for the few hours things are really bad. I have risperidone at my disposal in 0.5mg tablets. Is it okay for me to give him one tablet of this to calm him? I cannot get to the vet for any alprazolam and do not have access to a thunder vest, due to extenuating circumstances. Holding him does not help - he stays close; but, is not a snuggler.
He does not take any regular medications; he is healthy; his last does of Trifexis was two days ago.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 21 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

If this medication is not prescribed for your dog then I would advise against giving it to him because there area always side effects to prescribed meds and you may find yourself in the middle of a Veterinary emergency during the hurricane.

I would stick to the bendadryl which will help him to be drowsy or if you have over the counter melatonin you can use that. This is what we used for thunder phobia.

I will direct you to the sites for dosing on both the benadryl and the melatonin .

I would set up a crate and cover it with a blanket so he feels secure in a den or if there is a closet he can use , put his bed in there.

For as long as you have electricity I would play some calming music for dogs and you can find this on youtube here. Turn the sound up to block the thunder noise.

As for a thunder Vest you can also use a human's back brace if you have one or any semi tight spandex type shirt.

Be safe, we are all thinking of you as you go through these next critical hours.

Here is more information on risperidone