Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Dog is acting like he's throwing up but can't, Nothing that

Customer Question

Dog is acting like he's throwing up but can't
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Nothing that I'm aware of.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's 4 years old Mister Momo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about He 's?
Customer: No.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Any changes in the food? new treats? human food?
2) Any blood in the vomit?
3) Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No blood & no changes. I've always fed him small pieces of sausage but he'll always eat it fine.

Exercise caution with the sausage. Fatty foods like this predispose a dog to pancreatitis.

The action of dry heaving indicates nausea. I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i gave him the medication & he threw up about an hour ago? Do I still continue with the medications?

How long after the medication was given did he vomit?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
About...3 hours.

It's time to see your vet then. If oral meds aren't working, injectable meds may be needed. I would also ask for blood work to check for pancreatitis due to the sausage consumption and symptoms.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?