Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog at my cold medicine he's only 8-9 pounds Will he be

Customer Question

My dog at my cold medicine he's only 8-9 pounds Will he be ok?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: He ate my cold medicine! I tried to get it out of his mouth he wouldn't let me
JA: The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Romeo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Romeo?
Customer: He's quite small 8-9 pounds He ate a Mucinex DM
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did he get this?

How much?

How is Romeo just now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About 20 min ago I believe
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1200mg guaifensein and 60mg dextromethorphan HBr extended-release bi layer tablet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now the good news is that we do use these ingredients in dogs, so this isn't an outright poisoning. That said, Romeo has had a very high dose and the risk of adverse signs (ie GI upset, sedation, etc) are a concern. Therefore, if he had this so recently, we are best to err on the side of caution with him to avoid issue here.

Ideally, we'd want to induce vomiting just now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, this is quite a high overdose of these medications for a dog as small as Romeo. Therefore, the above would be best here to avoid any side effects. Though if you struggle with the above at all, then we'd want to have him seen so his vet can do this for her. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's MucineX DM
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I did see that and had already looked up the strength of its components while I was waiting for your reply. Now I posted a treatment plan above, but since you have replied in the same minute, let me know if you cannot see it and I will repost for you.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's a hurricane in FL tomorrow night and a lot of places are closed . I don't have those items
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think I should take him to emergency if there is one?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
or I can see tomorrow if there's a place open for last day to get supplies
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

If you don't have them and cannot obtain them just now (they are time sensitive since the long the drug is in his system them more that will be absorbed), then its best to have him seen now. We don't want to get into a position where he is dangerously sedate and needs emergency care when the hurricane hits.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you! I contacted a vet that's emergency but the answering service is called the vet.. he's prob home preparing for hurricane tomorrow night
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hes supposed to call me back
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Hopefully, he will and help get this back out of his stomach before much absorption occurs.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.