Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She's having what sounds like coughs and dry heaves. Just

Customer Question

She's having what sounds like coughs and dry heaves. Just started today. The coughs don't sound like shallow ones. They're real deep.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Stella and she's 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?
Customer: She's got a heart murmur, which I'm worried that the murmur is causing a problem, although it's never happened in the past.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Almost sounds like she's choking and trying to cough something up, then has a dry heave after a while.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 22 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is she bringing anything up?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Any changes to her breathing?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Every now and then something comes up. It looks like a mix of spit and some milky looking fluid which I guess is stomach acid. No changes in breathing other than the cough. No paleness in the gums either.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 22 days ago.
I am glad to hear that she hasn't those signs I asked about. Now the material she is bringing up doesn't sound like bile bit more like increased mucus from the airway. Considering this and her cough, our main concern would be a bacterial upper airway infection. Though we can see this with some parasite infectious, asthma, bronchitis and pneumonia.
With this in mind, since she sounds quite irritated with this, it would be ideal to have her vet listen to her chest and pinpont the cause for her signs. That way we can get her onto antibiotics to nip this in the bud for her.
Otherwise in the meantime, we can try to soothe her throat by giving a few millilitresrs of plain honey or OTC honey/glycerin cough syrup. These can be given as needed to just coat and soothe her throat to reduce this coughing for her until her vet can see her.
Kind regards,
Dr. B