Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog was running around earlier tonight and I noticed he

Customer Question

My dog was running around earlier tonight and I noticed he was swaying when he was sitting down It also appears that he is having pain under his front legs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Oh I'll do that niw
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sledge and 7.5 He doesn't have a wound on his paws He also seems tired or weak. And just isn't moving much
JA: How old is Sledge?
Customer: 7.5 yesrs And he has a heart murmur
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sledge?
Customer: He twitches every once in awhile, and I can hear fluids everyone in awhile-sort of like when you hear a stomach growl
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. I'm concerned that his swaying in association with appearing tired/weak indicates profound anemia. His history of having a heart murmur is a concern that advanced heart disease underlies those same symptoms. "Pain under his front legs" is unclear to me. Sledge's vet will want to thoroughly examine Sledge paying particular attention to his heart. Diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests will be recommended.

To assess the urgency of having him attended to, I need you to check his vital signs...

1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.