petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

Dino is a three year old German Shepherd. He has started

Customer Question

Dino is a three year old German Shepherd. He has started sneezing since yesterday. What do I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about German Shepherd?
Customer: Just he has a very sensitive stomach and he is an indoor baby.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 16 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Dino today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Is he acting otherwise ok? Eating, drinking and eliminating normally?

Is there nasal discharge and if so what color is it? Is it coming from one nostril or both?

Is there any swelling of his muzzle?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you .Dr.Z. I will be waiting.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 16 days ago.

I just posted a few questions for me to get a better understanding. Please let me know if you do not get them.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That's okay I'll just call our vet. I didn't know each time I talk I had to pay.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 16 days ago.

You only have to pay one time and we are able to respond up and back as many times as needed until your questions are answered for that one fee.

It is possible that he could be simply be experiencing a allergic rhinitis as we see when there are environmentally triggered allergies, but there are various other causes for sneezing including nasal foreign bodies, polyps and tumors. Since this just started, there would be no harm in trying a dose of antihistamine to see if it helps. It would be ok to give a dose of non-prescription Benadryl. The dose is 1-2 mg per pound that your dog weighs so a 20 lb dog would get between 20 to 40 mg. This can be repeated two times per day. The pill that is available over the counter is typically 25 mg.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 16 days ago.

If however, it is not improving or if you start to notice nasal discharge that is yellow or green in color, Dino definitely needs an exam by your vet.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z