Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

His back right leg gives out when he is walking. he 12 - 13

Customer Question

his back right leg gives out when he is walking . he 12 - 13 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: there isnt any visible signs. could it b his age? He had me up all last nite nite whining and he urinated all over the floor. and that not like him.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: nothing else
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Typically this is a neuromuscular disorder. Arthritis is first thing we will look at. It is possible that it could be spinal cord or spinal nerve (comes off the spinal cord) related. Depending on the location, it can affect the bladder as well. So, I would try to determine if he actually voluntarily urinated on the floor, or if it leaked out when he was laying down (incontinence). Incontinence can be due to a spinal issue (bladder doesn't get the necessary signals when it gets too full and starts to leak out), but it may be due to weakening of the urethral sphincter. If he voluntarily urinated in on the floor, I would want to make sure he doesn't have a urinary tract infection. Sometimes if arthritis is bad enough, he may have trouble urinating outside or had trouble getting up when he had to urinate. Age most likely plays a factor, but your vet can get him on medications to help alleviate these symptoms. I would have them do a full exam and get some blood work and a urinalysis to rule out some of these medical causes and even consider an x-ray if they get an obvious area of pain on their exam. If all normal, they may want to treat for arthritis first and go from there. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.