Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He is lethargic and has not pooped in a couple of days.

Customer Question

He is lethargic and has not pooped in a couple of days. Usually he is always outside hunting. He now just stands outside after I have to carry him out to pee.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cashew age 8. He is a papillion
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cashew?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. This is a difficult question to answer directly because Cashew symptoms of lethargy and not defecating while important aren't pathognomonic for any one particular disorder. Is he not defecating because he hasn't been eating? To determine the urgency of having him attended to by his vet please check his vital signs for me...

1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.

Have any new symptoms arisen? Sneezing, coughing, nasal discharge, regurgitation/vomiting, swollen abdomen, drinking more than usual, difficult urinating or urinating a higher volume of urine than usual, or lameness, e.g?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?