How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 2933
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a small dog Maltese that ate half of the rat kill

Customer Question

I have a small dog Maltese that ate half of the rat kill (small green cube) earlier this morning after 5:30 am in a panic i gave him three teaspoons of Hydrogen peroxide. The ASPCA phone # is busy tone non stop. What should I do? PLEASE HELP
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Maltese will be able to digest that. How old is Maltese?
Customer: 13 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maltese?
Customer: yesterday evening I gave him his heart worm pill
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 19 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm glad that you're being proactive about this. I've had many cases at my ER where owners don't and the pet ends up not making it. Do you know what the active ingredient is in the product?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I do not...I'm at work and my husband is on his way home to check on him.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 19 days ago.

This is going to be very important. These rat poison blocks can have one of 3 types of poison in it. Depending on the type, that dictates what needs / can be done. Did he vomit up any of the material after the hydrogen peroxide?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
are you not familiar with the small green cubes in the rat poison?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 19 days ago.

Different companies use different chemicals in their products. Pretty much a vast majority of the poisons are small green cubes / blocks.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
can I email you later?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 19 days ago.

I will be on and off here throughout the day. You can just reply here later. I can't receive personal emails per site policy.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 19 days ago.

With any rat / mouse poison ingestion, the absolute best thing to do is to get to your vet as soon as possible. One of the poisons that this could be is one that causes bleeding. This one has an antidote for it! This is why it is good to get to your vet as soon as possible with the product so they can see if it is that one.

Related Dog Questions