Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog ate a pack of ice cube bubble gum (grape flavor) we

Customer Question

Hello, my dog ate a pack of ice cube bubble gum (grape flavor) we suspect she ate the bubble gum yesterday because she threw up a lot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Raph, she is two years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Raph?
Customer: she weights like 60 pounds, she is a very strong dog
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 23 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Perfect, thank you
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
just let me know :)

This gum contains the toxic sugar subtitute xylitol which can cause hypogycemia when ingested at greater than 75-100 mg/kg of body weight and it can cause liver toxicity when ingested at levels greater than(###) ###-####mg/kg. The amount of xylitol in these gums is difficult to assess to an accurate degree and so it would be prudent to have Raph's vet check Raph's blood glucose level as well as her liver enzyme (ALT, AP, GGT) levels at your earliest convenience.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
its okay, thank you. She ate about 10 bubble gums I just want to know if she is going to be okay if she threw it all up.

If she, indeed, vomited all of the gum I would expect her to remain well. I would still be more comfortable having those simple blood tests performed to see if she's either hypoglycemic or her liver has been affected. The blood tests should be performed after she's been fasted for at least 4 hours. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Yeah, she looks fine but I think Im going to take her so they can run those tests, do you happen to know how much this exams costs?

I regret that can't know what you'd be charged. I can ballpark less than $200 but be sure to ask for a written estimate before anything is done.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
perfect!! thank you very much for your help!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 21 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?