Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog is a 10 yr old Staffie and his eyes are starting to

Customer Question

My dog is a 10 yr old Staffie and his eyes are starting to cloud over what does this mean
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Appllo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Appllo?
Customer: No
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 22 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

There may be two reasons for the clouding: First, we can see a slight haze that is blueish to whitish in color. This is lenticular sclerosis. It is not well understood why this happens but it is believed that this is common with aging and we see the lens and cornea of the eye hardening with time. Second, this may be a cataract developing in each eye. You'll notice a thick, white pigment that cannot be seen through developing in many cases over part or all of the lens of the eye. This is often associated with diabetes.

Lenticular sclerosis:

It would be ideal to have your Staffie's eyes evaluated to ensure there is no medical condition that needs to be treated.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 19 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?