Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Doberman ate an aleve I dropped, Rocco 4yrs old, No.. He is

Customer Question

Doberman ate an aleve I dropped
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the Doberman will be able to digest that. What is the Doberman's name and age?
Customer: Rocco 4yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocco?
Customer: No.. He is very healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

1. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds } ?

2. What strength was the Aleve { mg } ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
weighs about 90 lbs
1 Aleve tablet 220mg
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I induce vomiting with?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
or will he be ok

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The dose ranges for Aleve { Naproxin } in the dog ranges from 0.5 to 1.5 mg per pound of bodyweight once daily. This would mean a top dose of 135 mg for your 90 pound dog. So 220 mg is an overdose in your dog's case.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include vomiting, inappetance, lethargy and signs of abdominal pain. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Rocco is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Aleve ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.