Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

He is five weeks old and moaning and trying to poop and

Customer Question

He is five weeks old and moaning and trying to poop and nothing coming out. He was having a hard time pooping day before yesterday but then seemed to pass it and was fine all day yesterday and this morning but started having trouble again this afternoon and now he doesn't want to get up or eat. I was able to get him to drink a little goat milk but that's all he's taken willingly. I put some plain yogurt on my finger and put it in his mouth. He would swallow it, but not eat any more on his own. I've tried rubbing his belly to help things move, but he moans and still hasn't been able to poop. He strains so hard when he tries to poop I can hear his stomach heave but he doesn't throw up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Not that I know of. I've tried to be very detailed.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 20 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Where did this puppy come from?
2) How long have you owned him?
3) Any vomiting?
4) When he was last producing stool, was it diarrhea or soft?
5) Has he had any veterinary care? If so, when was he last examined?
6) Has he had any deworming performed? If so, when and what was used?
7) Has he torn up any toys or items within your home in the last few days?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
He was born here. He's been on his mom's milk and getting into her food when he can since he was two weeks old. They are outside farm dogs. I haven't seen any diarrhea in the yard and the large pile of puppy poo we found looked normal. Our vet says they are too young for shots until they are eight weeks old, so, he hasn't been yet. I also have not seen him tearing up anything that he shouldn't.He did drink some more milk pretty eagerly and walk around a little just a few minutes ago.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I can only call if you can mail me a bill.

At this age, intestinal parasites, parvo, gastric foreign bodies, etc. are all high risk. If he is unable to defecate and trying to go, something is causing him to feel the need to expel what is in his intestines. If he can't produce anything, he needs to see a vet promptly for diagnostics. There are a variety of things that could be happening here. Parvo or intestinal parasites could be causing GI cramping, a foreign body may be blocking his intestines, etc. I would recommend a visit to the ER overnight or your vet's office tomorrow morning if you cannot go to the ER this evening.

Failing this, administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
What does the Pepcid do?During this bland diet should I keep giving him milk, or try to get him to drink water?

Pepcid is an antacid. If his stomach is bothering him, making him not want to eat, it will calm that feeling and his appetite may return.

I would not continue the milk. This often has a laxative effect in dogs. Puppy food or a bland diet would be more ideal.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 17 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?