Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Gurgling sound in my dog's chest I have a great dane who is

Customer Question

Gurgling sound in my dog's chest I have a great dane who is almost 6 years old. For the past 2-3 days, I have been hearing a gurgling sound in her chest. The sound comes and goes, especially when she is in a lot of pain. (the pain is caused by her biting her own paw constantly leading to an injury). Can you tell me what this could be?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Maya is in such pain, and has this worrisome sound in her chest. Is she taking any thing for her pain?

If you check her gums, are they pink in color, or pale?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I can't tell you for sure what this sound is, without being able to listen to her with a stethoscope, feel her pulses, check her gum color, etc. It could be fluid in her lungs, it could be an infection in her throat, windpipe, and bronchi, it could be "referred" noise from another part of her body, such as her stomach.

I would want to be sure it is not fluid in her lungs, and if her gums look at all pale I would be worried about that possibility. I would need to listen to her with a stethoscope, to tell you if that is what is causing this noise, or to hear the noise myself to say more specifically what is wrong. If you get her checked by your vet, try to get a video with sound of the gurgling.

Let me know if this helps and what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is not taking any medication for the pain. Her gums are also fine, not pale
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Good that her gums are pink; that is a sign her circulation is normal and that her heart is probably OK.

If she is in such pain, you might want to give her pain medication such as carprofen, meloxicam, tramadol or gabapentin. If the gurgling is associated with her pain, that might be helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response. How is Maya? Can I help with anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.
Hi Stephanie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maya. How is everything going?